Friday, March 20, 2009

Bumberet Beginnings


I used up a lot of odds and ends on this shawl. I had a couple of alpaca/wool skeins that I had painted for my LYS, but the owner didn't like the duller finish of the alpaca/wool vs. pure wool, so it has been in my stash for several years. Then, I had several cones of textured silk in red, purple and orange -- and some handspun alpaca -- etc, etc. You get the idea! I used a technique that is new to me of using a rigid heddle paddle mounted on a pole. I fed through five different threads at once and rotated my odds and ends of alpaca and wool to make various stripes, all the while using my warping wheel to wind the warp and put it on the sectional warp beam of the AVL.

I like the bumberet draft that I used on this shawl and have used on several dish towels from recent warps. It is only a four shaft draft, but has lots of bang for the buck. I've posted the draft for bumberet and its cousin ducape on the Not 2 Square Weavers blog, for weavers that might like to give it a try.

The shawl was delivered to Shawlsunlimited and has been sold, so you won't find it listed there any longer.

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous and I don't begin to understand the construction. I finally do understand what makes 2/2 twill be 2/2 twill and tabby be plain weave. That's more than I knew a year ago.

    ReplyDelete