Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Payback Time



I have been going to the gym for a workout several times a week in the past few months. One of the things that helps keep me from getting bored is listening to recorded books. The most recent book I listened to was Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. It was one of those books that I had been intending to read for a long while, so when I saw that I could check it out of the library in recorded form, I jumped at the chance.

As I pedaled and listened, it gave me reason to think about my own life and what I could do to give back something to the world and its peoples. For over a year I have been giving small loans to Kiva and now I started thinking that perhaps I could give more and make more of a difference. What if I took the profits from my weaving business and made loans with that money? Once a loan is paid off, the money goes back into my Kiva account and can be reused to make another loan. The whole idea seemed to be a good fit for me.

So I have resolved for the year 2009, I will donate 100% of the profits from my business to Kiva loans. The gesture isn't nearly as large as the one that Greg Mortenson is making, but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment